Coding differences between Firefox & Explorer

For articles specific to version 5.x
MrCroquet

Coding differences between Firefox & Explorer

Post by MrCroquet »

It was brought to my attention by a friend that I should be checking how my pages look in both MS Explorer and Firefox. As I do all of my development work in Firefox, it's easy to forget that Explorer translates pages differently, sometimes VERY differently.

My home page was created as a new page in ISC 5.0.6 It includes a table with 3 columns. The left column is text while the next 2 columns to the right are images with hyperlinks. All works & looks well when created in Firefox. However, Explorer only shows the first column with text.

When I try to create the 2 right hand columns in Explorer, it won't take it. This process also messes up the code that was showing correctly in Firefox. Any thoughts on how to create additional pages that will show correctly in Explorer?
MarkSKell

Re: Coding differences between Firefox & Explorer

Post by MarkSKell »

Will you provide the url to your homepage?

Find a good resource for cross-browser testing. Take a look at how your site renders in multiple browsers (This will be a good indicator as to how much work is ahead). Decide whether you're supporting IE6 or just IE7 and IE8.

Take a look inside your 'Styles' sub-folder located in your 'templates' directory and you'll see a file named 'ie.css' <--- remove whatever changes you made in your other style sheets (for IE) and include them in this file instead. (This will take care of your new FireFox display issues)

That's as far as I can go without seeing the page. IE has a lot of problems, too many to guess on. :)