[Module] Royal Mail Advanced

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [Module] Royal Mail Advanced

Post by Martin »

Right...

Version 1.0.7 of the Royal Mail Advanced module has been released with the latest pricing for 2011-2012 as of today (April 4th 2011).

The information is correct as of today but given the conversations I've had with RoyalMail over the past few days it could change in one or two places as they pulled one key file or the FTP server simply went bye-bye under the load of businesses trying to get the data (oops! :roll: )

Additional changes to this version:
  • Streamlined the pricing table/CSV to group weight bands that previously were split into smaller pricing bands (300g => are now handled in 100g increments instead of 20g increments).
  • Double checked that prices for sending small packet items 280grams+ to the "Rest of the World" have indeed dropped on last year. Yes REALLY!
  • Currently the Airsure (EU) pricing includes VAT regardless of your store tax structure/settings.
Because of the sheer number of changes being implimented by RoyalMail to include things like VAT, and the fact that I am now more familiar with business tariff systems employed by them I am looking at a rewrite of the module in longer term (read: 3 - 9 months). This will depend largely on demand and whether Interspire really do decide to pull the plug on the ISC product or not.

These are the possible features I'm looking at including.
  • letter and large letter rates (for single items only)
  • Business/Franked Mail Rates
busi6292

Post by busi6292 »

Hi Martin,

We don't really wish to upgrade to the latest Royal Mail release you have (18 months expired) as we have a pretty substantial handling fee we apply to everything, however, fortunately I have just noticed now and not months later of the following error when trying to calculate shipping and it is even not going through to step 3 on checkout either:

Warning: Invalid error type specified in /modules/shipping/royalmail/module.royalmail.php on line 503

Is there a quickfix you can provide please?

Thanks.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

busi6292 wrote:Fortunately I have just noticed now and not months later of the following error when trying to calculate shipping and it is even not going through to step 3 on checkout either:

Warning: Invalid error type specified in /modules/shipping/royalmail/module.royalmail.php on line 503
I'm guessing you have quite an old version then as that particular issue should have been taken care off in one of the more recent (read last 12 months) releases.

Could you email me your existing module.royalmail.php file and I'll be able to see what you have and whether a later release within your maintenance period resolved it, something tells me there probably is.
busi6292

Post by busi6292 »

Hi Martin,

Ah yes, your right - I've just checked. I have one from March last year. Sorry, which of your email addresses do you want me to use? I don't know if you still use the websnail ones.

Thanks.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Identified the problem and here's the fix required to resolve it:

Open module.royalmail.php

Find:

Code: Select all

trigger_error('RoyalMail Adv Mod: Missing this years datafile: '.$rm_datepoint[$rm_yr]['data'] , E_ERROR);
Replace with:

Code: Select all

// trigger_error('RoyalMail Adv Mod: Missing this years datafile: '.$rm_datepoint[$rm_yr]['data'] , E_ERROR);
EDIT #2: Initially thought I must have created a custom function but I've remembered it's a PHP function and all that's happened is that the E_ERROR constant that was previously defined is not considered a valid Error type by PHP... Instead it will only accept E_USER_[ERRORTYPE]. It's not a fatal issue but one that will definitely cause some annoyance if left.

Anyway, commenting out that line will remove the bug but also stop the module from reporting that the data is out of date.
busi6292

Post by busi6292 »

Great - thanks for that, only just checked here! My fault for not checking this forum a few hours ago - led to a few sales being lost - the number of customers who just go elsewhere without contacting us!
busi6292

Post by busi6292 »

What's the cost for your Royal Mail mod maintenance renewal? I need the latest version you have released.

Thank you.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

busi6292 wrote:What's the cost for your Royal Mail mod maintenance renewal? I need the latest version you have released.

Thank you.
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply but VAT return had to be in and it was our first time... "fun"... :?

Your account on SnailSolutions, should now have access to see and purchase the RM Advanced upgrade option...
busi6292

Post by busi6292 »

Thanks for your reply. I bought it.

I've just noticed one bug. I have a 25KG item and a 600 gram item in the cart. The quotes brings up the couriers but it also brings up Royal Mail (2 X AirSure, 2 X Signed For) for interntional countries for some reason.

On another note, is it possible to get rid of the 2 X, 3 X, 4 X bit etc. as it is a bit misleading to the customer as to what this means. They may think they are paying double or triple unreasonably.
busi6292

Post by busi6292 »

Hi Martin,

Have you had a chance to look into the previous post please?

Thanks