Automatic Patcher

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
gaz
Confirmed
Confirmed

Re: Automatic Patcher

Post by gaz »

No more manual edits of files, fix bugs or apply mods with a click of the mouse

Sorry really not sure how I can make this any clearer.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

gaz wrote:Sorry really not sure how I can make this any clearer.
You need to apply a rubber mallet to each of Jon's fingers, then toes and work towards the only remaining protrusion and believe me he'll understand. :twisted:

I think where Jon is getting confused is with regard to the term "patch".

A "patch" is a nice catch all term that could be one or more changes to one or more files. As such a "patch" could be a custom module, an update for version X to version Y or a simple one off fix.

What the "patch" mechanism does is handle that process automatically whilst allowing for potential problem such as missing code, files or other problems.

*tests weight of the rubber mallet meaningfully*... Are you getting the gist yet Jon? :geek:
Tony Barnes

Post by Tony Barnes »

Ah, ok, not quite what I had thought it was then. Still, sounds good - anything that reduces "how do I put that in there?" questions can only be a good thing.

Going back to my question though (ahem) - is that a possibility? This would negate having to re-patch after an upgrade - unless the patcher remembers all the patching it has done and can do over?

So you would have a patched copy of 4.0.s that needed upgrading to 5.0.z - by checking for differences all the way through the updates, an edit could stay in place. Maybe, lol!

Back to your solution, I do still like it, great idea
gaz
Confirmed
Confirmed

Post by gaz »

One would hope an ISC update would cover the bug fixes :p

Should they not you can always rerun the patcher after an upgrade 99% of the time it'll still work.
meules
Confirmed
Confirmed

Post by meules »

Sounds like a briljant idea.... Why does ISC never thought of implementing this since all their releases are filled with bugs :lol: I spend more time updating to new versions then a regular good night sleep... Anyway, when and where is this patch going to be released and what would this cost?

I'm very very interested..
ISC v6
gaz
Confirmed
Confirmed

Post by gaz »

Couple of issues (mainly css) to fix up and a bunch of patches to rewrite for 5.0.6 and it'll be out.

Hosted version will be free, download version will be around £35