[PAID] Google Merchant Static Feed

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
mardukeme

Re: [PAID] Google Merchant Static Feed

Post by mardukeme »

When creating the Google export feed I see a file called US_froogle-export.xml.tmp which I understand is the feed file being created and being locked. Few minutes after completion I take look at the server the file is renamed to froogle-export.xml.old is there anyway to keep it as froogle-export.xml without me having to ftp to the server and renaming?

Thanks,

Marduke
kurt

Post by kurt »

mardukeme wrote:When creating the Google export feed I see a file called US_froogle-export.xml.tmp which I understand is the feed file being created and being locked. Few minutes after completion I take look at the server the file is renamed to froogle-export.xml.old is there anyway to keep it as froogle-export.xml without me having to ftp to the server and renaming?

Thanks,

Marduke
Just run the script again. You don't have to rename it. Run the script a few times It'll tell you when feed is complete
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

mardukeme wrote:When creating the Google export feed I see a file called US_froogle-export.xml.tmp which I understand is the feed file being created and being locked. Few minutes after completion I take look at the server the file is renamed to froogle-export.xml.old is there anyway to keep it as froogle-export.xml without me having to ftp to the server and renaming?
Not sure if you've missed all the files but just to be on the safe side this is what's supposed to happen.

1. The feed generation process starts running and while it's building a new feed (or version of it) it will have a file extension .xml.tmp

2. When completed, the process will rename any existing feed from .xml to .xml.old

3. It finally renames the .xml.tmp (newly generated feed file) to .xml which effectively publishes it.

What Kurt was referring to was a partially generated .xml.tmp feed file and this comes about because the server can sometimes timeout after generating only part of the feed. The module is designed to be able to work out where it left off and continue the generation process... Such restarts may be required multiple times to complete the feed.

Overall the process is designed to ensure that once generated successfully once, you will always have a valid feed file until another can be successfully completed. The .old version is simply there to act as a further failsafe in case a problem was discovered and you need to do a manual rename (from .xml.old to .xml) to restore a "working" copy, while you (or I) figure out what went wrong.

Hope that provides a bit more clarity as to the process... The bottom line is you should see two files normally with the .xml.tmp only visible if generation is taking place or has stalled without completing.
mardukeme

Post by mardukeme »

Martin wrote:
Not sure if you've missed all the files but just to be on the safe side this is what's supposed to happen.

1. The feed generation process starts running and while it's building a new feed (or version of it) it will have a file extension .xml.tmp

2. When completed, the process will rename any existing feed from .xml to .xml.old

3. It finally renames the .xml.tmp (newly generated feed file) to .xml which effectively publishes it.

What Kurt was referring to was a partially generated .xml.tmp feed file and this comes about because the server can sometimes timeout after generating only part of the feed. The module is designed to be able to work out where it left off and continue the generation process... Such restarts may be required multiple times to complete the feed.

Overall the process is designed to ensure that once generated successfully once, you will always have a valid feed file until another can be successfully completed. The .old version is simply there to act as a further failsafe in case a problem was discovered and you need to do a manual rename (from .xml.old to .xml) to restore a "working" copy, while you (or I) figure out what went wrong.

Hope that provides a bit more clarity as to the process... The bottom line is you should see two files normally with the .xml.tmp only visible if generation is taking place or has stalled without completing.
Martin,

I understood the part were it renames .xml to .xml.old the but I had no .xml in the first place and it renamed the only .xml feed file I had on the server to .xml.old

Thanks,

Marduke
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Ok... could you email me on info (at) snailsolutions co uk ... with some ftp and temp admin login details so I can check out what might be going on.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Just a quick note about a sudden jump in "Disapproved" items under the Product Ads section of your feed Dashboard...

I missed this information until I tonight but around 5 days ago my feed showed a whole load of red under the Product Ads sction... This however explains it:
http://merchant-center-announcements.bl ... s-for.html

So, unless your problem is in the Product Search section you needn't panic... :ugeek:
mardukeme

Post by mardukeme »

Martin wrote:Ok... could you email me on info (at) snailsolutions co uk ... with some ftp and temp admin login details so I can check out what might be going on.
Martin,

Ok, I think I figured it out if there is no xml file it will rename the newly created xml file to xml.old. If there is already an xml it will rename that one to xml.old. Which is the way it is supposed to work. The only issue is the first time you run it I guess.

Thanks,

Marduke
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

mardukeme wrote:Ok, I think I figured it out if there is no xml file it will rename the newly created xml file to xml.old. If there is already an xml it will rename that one to xml.old. Which is the way it is supposed to work. The only issue is the first time you run it I guess.
Odd... There's no logical reason it should do that as the renaming of the XML happens in a set order that would make that impossible.

At a guess the froogle.php restarted again or something similar... As I said "odd" but so long as it's now generating feeds properly I'll not complain.
mardukeme

Post by mardukeme »

Martin,

Within Merchant Center under data quality I am getting a bunch of broken images errors listed now. When I go to the open the product page the images are there. It seams if I have a image named #1_56026_std.jpg Interspire converts the url to %231__56026_std.jpg. When I enter the full url in the browser directly to the file i get the following message, "No input file specified", but if I enter the full url with the %23 within the image name the picture is displayed.

My question is there any way to get the export xml file to generate the %23 instead of # within the url line?

Thanks,

Marduke
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

I'm a bit surprised you're using a character like # in you image name, especially for a web based application as the # is effectively a reserved character for page anchors. Needless to say the module doesn't allow for such usage.

That said I should be able to write a little routine to parse the image URL properly.

I'll take a look in the next 24 hours.