[Module] Froogle Static export

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [Module] Froogle Static export

Post by Martin »

Just had the heads up regarding the following:
Starting May 3rd, 2011, we’ll require your product listings to include at least two of the three unique identifiers (Brand, MPN, GTIN). In order to provide as much information as possible to our users, we need your help in matching your products to our "product pages", where users are able to view useful data such as product specifications or reviews. While these attributes will not be required for your data feed to process correctly, they may prevent your items from appearing in Product Search results if not included. For more details, including what specific identifiers you should include for each category of item, please see our Help Center at http://www.google.com/support/merchants ... wer=160161

Starting June 6th, 2011, we’ll also require your product listings to include tax and shipping information to provide buyers with important price information. This information will be required at either the account or item level (in the “tax” or “shipping” attribute) in order for your items to process and appear in Google Product Search results. For instructions on how to include tax and shipping information, please visit http://www.google.com/support/merchants ... wer=160162

Please update your account settings or data feeds as soon as possible to ensure that you are complying with these new requirements by the dates specified above. For more information about these changes, please visit our Google Merchant blog at http://googlemerchantblog.blogspot.com/ ... earch.html
Should be possible to get all of that lot in reasonably well although I have to wonder just how much of an overhead will be required for those with big product lists.

I am thinking it would be a good idea to batch process and write the file in segments to reduce the likelihood of out of memory errors but chances are I may end up batch processing the whole ruddy thing to ensure that's handled properly.

So, worry not... on the case... just no bl**dy time to tackle it all properly as per usual :roll:
pitorian

Post by pitorian »

Hi Martin, have you got a copy of the most up to date Froogle feed that can be used in the UK?
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

pitorian wrote:Hi Martin, have you got a copy of the most up to date Froogle feed that can be used in the UK?
That's basically what the new Google Merchant module does... I've rewritten it to handle the GB/UK feed requirements as well as other countries (if required).

The old froogle module ended at 1.0.5 and to be honest it wasn't providing all the correct data according to the google policy for the UK for a while. Mainly because the "department" field had been deprecated (gotten rid of) in favour of the "types" field.

Having spent more than three days writing and rewriting the thing it's pretty darn comprehensive and for the first time in ages all my data feed quality reports are showing as "Good". 1.0.5 was resulting in quite a few being disallowed.