[EASY MOD] Friendly Temp-Password Generator

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
CharlieFoxtrot
Confirmed
Confirmed

[EASY MOD] Friendly Temp-Password Generator

Post by CharlieFoxtrot »

I had little else to do today... so I decided to update the function that generates temporary passwords.

It's been my experience that many (most?) people who request a temporary password are often the customers the need a little bit of hand-holding... and who are the ones who are most likely to appreciate anything we can do to make their online shopping experience as SIMPLE as possible.

The following edit makes the temporary passwords a bit friendlier, easier to remember, and easier to type. (Believe it or not, some of my older customers still have difficulty with "cut-and-paste".)

TESTED IN: ISC version 4.07 (Perhaps this function still exists in newer versions)
REGULAR WARNINGS: At your own risk... test before going live... keep backups... yadda-yadda-yadda!

FILE TO EDIT: /lib/general.php

SEARCH FOR:

Code: Select all

function GenerateReadablePassword($charLength=GENERATED_PASSWORD_LENGTH)
CHANGE TO:

function OLD_GenerateReadablePassword($charLength=GENERATED_PASSWORD_LENGTH)
JUST ABOVE THAT, ADD THIS:

function GenerateReadablePassword() {
	$adjectives = "red,white,blue,green,orange,yellow,pink,purple,violet,happy,silly";
	$nouns =  "pony,kitten,puppy,house,mouse,horse,cat,dog,duck,fish,pizza,monkey,zebra,";
	$nouns .= "elephant,chicken,sheep,rhino,tree,flower,flamingo,robin,sparrow,lion,tiger,";
	$nouns .= "bear,fox,deer,cow,piglet,turkey,donkey,goat,eagle,swan,owl,penguin,whale,dolphin";
	$nouns = explode(',', $nouns);
	$adjectives = explode(',', $adjectives);
	mt_srand((double)microtime()*1000000);
	$a = mt_rand(0, count($adjectives)-1);
	$n = mt_rand(0, count($nouns)-1);
	$pwd =  $adjectives[$a] . $nouns[$n];
	return $pwd;
}
Add or delete adjectives and nouns as you see fit.

I realize that the passwords generated here are easier to guess (if someone is so inclined)... but I'm satisfied that the initial email confirmation (BEFORE a password is provided) is sufficient for my purposes.
ISC 4.0.7

"... and let's be honest that whole "by design" thing is getting old too."
Tony Barnes

Re: [EASY MOD] Friendly Temp-Password Generator

Post by Tony Barnes »

Nice little idea, I've lost count of how many people's password I've reset to "password" to try and save keyboard vs head problems...
myshop

Post by myshop »

Works in 5.5.4, but not in 6.1.1 - that function is gone from the general.php file in 6.1.1.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

myshop wrote:Works in 5.5.4, but not in 6.1.1 - that function is gone from the general.php file in 6.1.1.
New location is:
/lib/Interspire/String.php

There's also this mod, which is related but a different approach:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=231&p=860&hilit=password#p860