Branding

For all things BigCommerce.. Chat, sharing ideas, links to tips and ways to make things work.
kurt

Branding

Post by kurt »

Anyone notice that Interspire doesn't let BC users remove the links to BC on users mobile sites and the facebook shopping tab?
kurt

Re: Branding

Post by kurt »

There was an official announcement on the BC community from Mitch on this subject. It looks like they will not let their customers remove the FB and Mobile BC links. I was considering BC but that just helped me make my decision to stick with ISC and hosted carts.

http://community.bigcommerce.com/bigcom ... e_template
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Wow!...

Bit surprised by the way discussion was shutdown on that thread. A "feature" like that would take less than a couple of hours to code, a day to test and then most folks would probably miss it... The figure of $29 is pure "out of thin air" pricing, but I'd guess that's just how valuable the link is to the BC SEO strategy, rather than a development cost..

Does make a complete mockery of the "we listen to our customers" tagline doesn't it... *again*

Way to go Mitch... :roll:

... and because I know my comment on the thread will be moderated as being "off topic" or some other guff... Here it is so Interspires moderation can be seen for what it is...
Impressive Mitch... Given that you draw inspiration from your customers perhaps you should actually practice what you preach and not slam the door shut on discussion when it's obvious your customers (not your trust fund contributors) actually want what is a remarkably simple modification.

I have to question your $29 cost too, as it's a simple enough GUI fix in the Admin settings and a template field change to do...

SEO link value is obviously more important and valuable to your company and your customers come last on this consideration. Way to go...
Daniel Olvera

Post by Daniel Olvera »

I totally understand why BigCommerce doesn't want to provide access to modify the Mobile template. Imagine what it would be like to have to support all our questions! They already have their hands full providing technical support for their current templates and adding the support to the Mobile template would probably overwhelming.

I did talk to their tech support not too long ago and they said I could try to remove it. I guess they were confident it was not feasible

The BigCommerce link from the Mobile Store CAN be removed.

-Daniel Olvera
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Daniel Olvera wrote:I totally understand why BigCommerce doesn't want to provide access to modify the Mobile template. Imagine what it would be like to have to support all our questions! They already have their hands full providing technical support for their current templates and adding the support to the Mobile template would probably overwhelming.
I think you may be missing the point that they have already provided whitelabelling support in ISC within their existing template structure. I doubt very much that this variable is missing or otherwise excised from their mobile or facebook pages unless it was deliberately done. So it's not a question of support at all, but of marketing for BC, which then misses the point completely because BC customers are not in it to advertise their suppliers.
Daniel Olvera

Post by Daniel Olvera »

But BigCommerce is fine with clients removing it, they just haven't unlocked (or given access) to the template.
How long you think before clients can edit and modify the Mobile template to their heart's content?

-Daniel Olvera
Ecommerce and Email Marketing Consultant
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Daniel Olvera wrote:How long you think before clients can edit and modify the Mobile template to their heart's content?
Almost never tbh...

One of the core reasons they've chosen to create BC in the first place was to limit the amount of configuration and thus support was required so mobile templating is very unlikely to be opened up. What will be interesting is to see if Mitch will ever listen to the feedback, or if people will really leave as they've threatened to do.. But in fairness the bigger issue right now is the lack of PCI compliance which should really have killed the product dead by now but nothing has happened.
kurt

Post by kurt »

It's been awhile since this thread started.

Anyone know if it's still not possible to remove "Powered by BC"on the facebook socialshop2 app and on the mobile template?
kurt

Post by kurt »

kurt wrote:It's been awhile since this thread started.

Anyone know if it's still not possible to remove "Powered by BC"on the facebook socialshop2 app and on the mobile template?
Just contacted support. It's true they still do not let their customers remove the "powered by BadCommerce" links from the mobile site and facebook app. Why should I pay $150 per month to provide advertisements for BC??
kurt

Post by kurt »

Maybe they received my complaint... Their latest blog post says: "Remove “Powered By” link in our Facebook application, SocialShop, from the settings page simply by ticking a checkbox."

Now if they would only do this for mobile template, we would be all set and I might consider using the product.