What are the key steps needed for moving to a new cart?

Discussion by existing Interspire Cart customers regarding potential alternatives.
vox

What are the key steps needed for moving to a new cart?

Post by vox »

If one wanted to move from ISC to Magento Go for example what is the quickest method to do so?

Is it a case of exporting your ISC products to a CSV and importing to Magento Go?

Also what is the situation with moving an ISC store to Bigcommerce... Is there a logical, simple transition?
junii0524

Re: What are the key steps needed for moving to a new cart?

Post by junii0524 »

vox same problam also with me i have no idea :(
Snooper

Post by Snooper »

There are no single ideal solutions to the question.

Key to the problem is the ability to transfer current customer / product data. There will always be the need to remove tables, columns or move columns to make your data fit any new cart (assumes working with CSV as the transfer pathway)

Evrybody who owns ISC faces the same problem if thinking of moving and that I feel is core to this question – Do you ‘really’ have the time or need to move given what you know it will take to acheave this not so simple task?

As for BC. Frankly if you go that route IT WILL end in tears !!

Solution it seems is, if your locked into ISC by domain, find a way out (no hints, but this is doable) - Tansfer current data and to repoint the cart (via config.php etc) or to stay where you are. Either route, use any and all forums to help fix bugs on your ISC and just develop in your own time, modifications. Don't jump versions of ISC in hope this will imporve your lot. Changes, so-called upgrades by ISC are not fully backward compatable and the SQL data does not corectly line up as a result. This is also reason why transfers to BC are failing !!
ISC 5.5.4 Ultimate : Being used here -- http://www.kdklondon.com
shop1

Post by shop1 »

how we avoid this problem or make them easy to users?
Snooper

Post by Snooper »

One solution is to do a backup of your current SQL database and literally cut away all but a few inputs. Then go visit a service that will allow you to test a conversion. See here for forum post on this subject -

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1707

In theory, you can then turn to the cart of choice and trial an install of the converted SQL . IF this works, you then have a ‘template’ to base a decision on.
ISC 5.5.4 Ultimate : Being used here -- http://www.kdklondon.com
miketailor

Post by miketailor »

Thanks for this wonderful help..
kurt

Post by kurt »

I switched to BC from ISC. BC doesn't even let you import reviews which is a shame. I used the export feature in ISC and then imported it to BC. I then had to re-create all the options in BC as those didn't import. BC has the worst UI for options by the way. Not very user friendly. Other than those issues it was a smooth transition as the templates were the same and I'm now able to use cloud apps with their api.