Password Reset - Quick Nasty Fix

For Articles relating to more than one ISC version
myshop

Password Reset - Quick Nasty Fix

Post by myshop »

As we all know, the password reset feature in ISC leaves a little to be desired.

After a lot of testing I can confirm that the most likely cause of your customers not being able to successfully login with their new password is this:

The customer selects, copies and pastes the new password that was emailed to them into the website. When they select the password there is a trailing space that almost always gets automatically selected. The website wont allow them to login because technically the password they have copied is incorrect.

Its actually quite fiddly to select ONLY the password and not the extra trailing space. (see screenshot - password.png)

THE EASY FIX:

Edit your language file (located in: /language/en/front_language.ini)

Find the following line:

Code: Select all

ForgotPasswordEmailConfirmed = "Your new customer account password at %s is <b>%s</b>"
change to:

Code: Select all

ForgotPasswordEmailConfirmed = "Your new customer account password at %s is <b>%s</b><br>"
After you have made this change, customers will be able to select JUST the password, without the trailing space.

Ideally, some smart cookie at Interspire will see this post and realize that the website login code should be stripping whitespace from the beginning and end of any password entered into the site (as well as sanitising the password for security reasons) - This would solve this issue properly. Until then, this fix will certainly help.
Attachments
password2.png
password2.png (5.44 KiB) Viewed 9541 times
password.png
password.png (5.44 KiB) Viewed 9541 times
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Password Reset - Quick Nasty Fix

Post by Martin »

Just to note the fix for the backend is this:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107
myshop

Post by myshop »

Hi Martin

The fix you link to doesnt seem to work in 6.1.1 - I cannot find those lines of code to modify.

?
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

myshop wrote:The fix you link to doesnt seem to work in 6.1.1 - I cannot find those lines of code to modify.
Looks like you're right... explains a lot as I'd missed that it hadn't been ported over.

I'll update that thread with new code mods for 6.x shortly.

Done: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107&p=4819#p4819