Which is better?

For Articles relating to more than one ISC version
cwhite

Which is better?

Post by cwhite »

Hey there. I've been doing some major googling about which shopping cart is best for a website, and came across the blog post below.

http://journik.posterous.com/shopping-c ... s-interspi

The dates a bit old so I'm wondering if it's still accurate? Also any other feedback of other carts that I would want to use would be most helpful as well. Thanks!
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which is better?

Post by Martin »

September 2010 is ancient history as far as shopping carts go...

I would never in a million years recommend anyone buy Interspire shopping cart (ISC)anymore because it has been abandoned in all but officially... As for magento, I couldn't comment but there's a lot of enthusiasm for CS Cart and Open Cart now so worth looking that way instead ..

Avoid BigConmerce (yes that typo was deliberate) though as that's just getting worse rather than better and the manglement are the same bunch of hapless goons we had to suffer with ISC, and they're likely to walk away first chance they get for something else new and interesting...

Hope that helps...
Brandeline

Post by Brandeline »

I kinda have to second Martin's opinion on this. (I own two copies of Interspire Cart, around $3000 in licensing fees total that I bought about a year ago.)

The software looks great in terms of features on paper, but there have been continuous issues popping up in things that don't work quite right and I have just not been able to get answers from Interspire support on those things most of the time. The problems I have encountered range from nuisance issues like query results vanishing when I re-sort them other than the default sorting, to big things like customers randomly not being able to check out. The lost sales when they can't check out are pretty serious issues in my book. No one needs to be losing customers with their pocket book already out in this economy.

Their year of 'free support' and updates is practically worthless when they are not issuing many updates anymore at all. Nor will you get free bug fixes for serious security issues as most other companies do even past the end of your official support. I haven't picked my next cart yet, but I am no longer recommending Interspire Cart anymore either.

And with Big Commerce, it will only be worse as you won't have the option to opt out of certain updates since they decide when you are going to update. At least with the self hosted cart, we could hang back a while and make sure the next update was stable before we switched.
novista
Confirmed
Confirmed

Post by novista »

I have to agree as well. I've stopped recommending Ingerspire and am about to migrate 2 stores to CS Cart. I've also looked at Magento. A lot of power but pricing is prohibitive if you want to host your own. MagentoGo is also very good but you have to be willing to accept the limitations that come with a hosted solution.
Michael Kopel
NovistaWeb.com
stealthology

Post by stealthology »

novista wrote:I have to agree as well. I've stopped recommending Ingerspire and am about to migrate 2 stores to CS Cart. I've also looked at Magento. A lot of power but pricing is prohibitive if you want to host your own. MagentoGo is also very good but you have to be willing to accept the limitations that come with a hosted solution.
Regarding Magento, it's free? From what I heard, the enterprise version which costs $3k/yr I think isn't worth the upgrade.

I'm contemplating CS-Cart and OpenCart (MAYBE Magento if enough of you guys can convince me). OpenCart definitely seems more bare although they have a strong add-on community, but I think I'd rather have as many features I need part of the base package (upgrade issues, security concerns, and add-on developers can dissapear).