[Module] Royal Mail Advanced

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [Module] Royal Mail Advanced

Post by Martin »

busi6292 wrote:I've just noticed one bug. I have a 25KG item and a 600 gram item in the cart. The quotes brings up the couriers but it also brings up Royal Mail (2 X AirSure, 2 X Signed For) for interntional countries for some reason.
Did see this and thought I'd responded but obviously not... Looking at the information the bug is obviously that it's no longer applying an upper limit on items. I'll check this out and fix...
On another note, is it possible to get rid of the 2 X, 3 X, 4 X bit etc. as it is a bit misleading to the customer as to what this means. They may think they are paying double or triple unreasonably.
Yeah... That's an edit in the main class for shipping but it can be done... I'll dig it out...

Wednesday is going to be my code bug fix and new release day so I'll get all these things sorted then come hell or high water...
busi6292

Post by busi6292 »

Sorry Martin is there any update to this? Thank you
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

busi6292 wrote:Sorry Martin is there any update to this? Thank you
Short answer no... server, computer problems and then my son gets sick yesterday and ends up in A&E... Murphy and Sods law all in one go..

Setting some time aside on Friday to get on this and other ISC code nuggets.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

A new version (1.0.10) has been uploaded with 2 new feature additions.
  • You can now set a trigger level for UK orders that force a customer to use Special Delivery (if a Special Delivery service is enabled) for orders over a certain target level.
  • You can now enable or disable the package count for shipping quotes where the order has been split
Regarding this:
busi6292 wrote:I have a 25KG item and a 600 gram item in the cart. The quotes brings up the couriers but it also brings up Royal Mail (2 X AirSure, 2 X Signed For) for interntional countries for some reason.
I think I've cured this by adding a logic check that stops the system trying to split up single items over the International weight limit for Airmail (ie: 2kg).

If you could upload the new version and check against the parameters/items you described above then feedback that would be appreciated.

On another note, is it possible to get rid of the 2 X, 3 X, 4 X bit etc. as it is a bit misleading to the customer as to what this means. They may think they are paying double or triple unreasonably.
See new feature in 1.0.10
busi6292

Post by busi6292 »

Hi Martin,

Just a quick note to say we have put the new Royal Mail code on the site and it works 100%, resolving both the issues of 2 X, 3 X for us and most importantly, shows only couriers now for an item under 2KG and an item over 2KG.

Thank you very much!
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Just released version 1.0.11 with the following changes:
  • Includes new 2011 price data file with the tracked and parcelforce prices (for 2012) included so those services can actually be used pre-April 30th
  • Fixed bug with the new split package feature for sites that used weight units other than Kilograms
  • Added templates to distribution for pre-5.5.x versions of ISC (fixed oversight on my part)
  • Added 2012 price data for the new (horrific!) RM tariffs from April 30th (Auto-switchover to new prices takes place 24 hours before ie: 29th)
Also to note existing purchases still have the 18 months support but with the sheer number of changes being applied by RoyalMail and my own VAT registration last year the price is now £59.95 (just under £50 + VAT) for 12 months support from this point on.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

I've just completed an update of the code to include Large Letter rates owing to a pressing requirement on both mine and a customers sites.

The code is still thoroughly beta at present but at first blush seems to be handling its job properly.

Next up is a custom request for splitting out specific items that are oversized or need to be shipped as seperate packages but that's currently pending.

I'll release the new version in due course...
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

The latest release of this module is now out...

The new version includes the long promised Large Letter services including 1st/2nd Class and Recorded options.

In particular the new version will screen out (ie: remove) any quotes for packet services of the same type if the large letter rate is available.
eg: If an order can be sent 1st Class Large Letter it will drop the 1st Class [Packet] rate.
This ensures there's no confusion over which 1st Class service a customer should be choosing.

If there's anyone still using the old modules without updated pricing I really would recommend upgrading ASAP as the old prices will be losing you money... Yes, including anyone who upgraded to 6.1.8..
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

[Module] Royal Mail Advanced - April 2013 Changes

Post by Martin »

Had a query about this in the last couple of days and I'm working on this now.

There's a few things to note about why this isn't a simple update.
  1. RM have done away with Small Parcel and Small Packet rates completely
  2. In place of the above, RM have introduced two new parcel rates that are both weight AND dimensional based, along the same lines as letter, large letter, etc..
  3. This dimensional banding has created a MASSIVE headache that may not be 100% solvable due to the fact that it's an NP Hard maths problem (look it up) but I am doing what I can with existing code.
Once testing has been completed I will also be releasing an Royal Mail Contract module for customers who are using the Royal Mail Contract rates such as RM24, Tracked, and International Contract services. It's one I've been using for the last 18 months so for those who have been using Packetpost, etc... it's an ideal shift.

More when I've had a chance to finishing coding the update for RM Advanced (hopefully this evening).
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Right... managed to crack most of this, this evening.

Couple of things to note:
  1. This module required a considerable rewrite to get it working.
  2. There's only one customer within their 12 month maintenance term so renewal will be required for the bulk of customers
  3. While there is some basic dimensional manipulation done by the code it's not even close to bin packing functionality. This will undoubtedly affect those using the module who have lots of small items.
  4. You will need dimensional information applied to your products for the module to filter things by size at all!
All of that out of the way though I have managed to update things quite a bit... The module now handles the following:
  • Deprecates the Standard Parcel and Small Packet services/rates as these have been discontinued by Royal Mail
  • Use package dimension data to identify the smallest Parcel size available in 1st and 2nd class
  • Updated rates for Royal Mail retail (ie: Post Offices and other non-contract services)
  • Includes Parcelforce 24/48 services for UK only
    Note: It does NOT differentiate from UK channel islands or areas that attract a higher rate such as the Highlands, etc...
Basically, it's not perfect but it is considerably better than anything Interspire are likely to provide on BigCommerce EVER!

If I can locate a bin packing class to manage parcel size determination better I will look to add it but having looked at this for the last 2 years with little positive result, I doubt very much anything will become available any time soon.

This module will be tested and release in the next week.. It may not be quite in time for the April 2nd changeover but due to fact that these changes are considerable, installation would need to be carried out on/after 2nd anyway.

Post below if you are interested about this or the contract pricing version of the module and I'll get back in touch once things are ready..