Scrap.shs?

For articles specific to version 6.x
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scrap.shs?

Post by Martin »

Am I out to lunch here or has a random file found its way into the release for 6.1.1 ?

There's a file called "Scrap.shs" which the Windows system is recognising as a scrap file... It's not referenced anywhere in the new code and I can't think of a reason to have a 112kb file that isn't an image, code or similar.

Anyone know something I don't?
CharlieFoxtrot
Confirmed
Confirmed

Re: Scrap.shs?

Post by CharlieFoxtrot »

I'm sure you already knew this (I didn't) but I thought I'd share it anyway.
.SHS is an file extension as file type Shell Scrap Object File. The .SHS file type is primarily associated with 'Shell Scrap Object File' by Microsoft Corporation. The Shell Scrap Object is part of the Microsoft embed objects inside objects philosophy. Basically, what happens is that the shell script is wrapped around an object and the .SHS extension (which normally can't be seen even with extensions turned on) is added to the file. An .SHS file is really potentially quite dangerous because it can have anything executable in it along with a vast collection of dangerous script code in the wrapper. At least one worm uses the Shell Script object.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Scrap_Object_File
ISC 4.0.7

"... and let's be honest that whole "by design" thing is getting old too."
CharlieFoxtrot
Confirmed
Confirmed

Post by CharlieFoxtrot »

More...

Layman Explanation-
.SHS file extension is an erroneous format which come existence in some of the following cases-

1.While uploading an file to internet.
2.Transfer of file from one source to another.
3.Emailing the client using the file as attachment.
4.Errors in your registry.

Problem with .SHS file-
1.Problems accessing certain types of files, or finding computer to be unstable and slower than it should be.
2.The fragmentation and corruption of computer’s Windows registry could lie at the heart of a whole range of PC security, stability and performance issues that anyone experience.

Useful Information-
The .SHS file type can become infected and should be carefully scanned if someone sends you a file with this extension.
ISC 4.0.7

"... and let's be honest that whole "by design" thing is getting old too."
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Realised this is most likely left over from a borked 7zip expansion of the file..

Ignore me... Losing the plot after 12+ hours digging through a 6.1.1 upgrade with all my fixes, mods and hacks... :shock: :shock: :geek: