"Something went wrong with your order"

For Articles relating to more than one ISC version
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Something went wrong with your order"

Post by Martin »

Just thought I'd share this nugget for anyone else who has experienced the joys of reading back through visitor stats or watched that page title of "Something went wrong" appear in realtime on Woopra or similar.

In a nutshell it seems that there are times when that error is due to a genuine problem, where the customer has spotted something is missing, don't like SagePay or forgot their password, etc...

...BUT... there's also a noticeable incidence of customers who have bookmarked the finishorder.php page and then returned to it, to check their order. Of course when they do this the system tells them that there's a problem (not what the problem is) and has you flying into a tizz, thinking it's all broken (hardly unfair given the ISC history ;)).

So, there you go... Still worth checking things out, but if there's no order, incomplete or otherwise it's most likely just them revisiting a poor choice of bookmarked page.
CharlieFoxtrot
Confirmed
Confirmed

Re: "Something went wrong with your order"

Post by CharlieFoxtrot »

Interesting observations, Martin. Thanks for your insight!

This has me wondering if a bit of code could be added to the htaccess file that would effectively intercept a bookmarked "order complete" page. ~~ I wouldn't know where to begin, but the logic of the statement would look to see if there was a referrer that matched the site's domain name. If so, then display the "order complete" page for that session... otherwise, if there's no referrer (then it's been bookmarked) and an alternate page would be displayed instead.

(Maybe this is more of a PHP project instead of an htaccess one.)
ISC 4.0.7

"... and let's be honest that whole "by design" thing is getting old too."